Thursday, June 26, 2014

Cross Country Road Trip- Part 8

We have finally made it to the final day of our cross country trip.  We are sad that our travels are ending, as this has been the trip of a lifetime.  However, it has been quite a long month of travel, and we look forward to being grounded for awhile.  

The final leg of our journey was the most boring.  There was literally nothing.  I believe once we crossed into California, we only saw 1 gas station, and it was closed.  It was a bit depressing to travel in to Twentynine Palms from the East.  I honestly don't even have much to say, because it was so boring and there was nothing to see.  Mountains, sand, dirt.  We traveled on long endless roads for 100+ miles.  No homes, no civilization.  Isn't it silly to think about it?  In many places in the United States, we are bunched so close together.  While there are still places that are completely undeveloped.  Don't get me wrong, I know how much it would take to get a place as dry and hot as this developed, but I still think it's pretty ironic.  

I didn't snap any photos, except for the California sign.  Honestly, there wasn't much to look at.  You can see in the background of these photos exactly what we saw the entire journey.  
State number 19- the final state!

We are officially in the pacific time zone (interestingly enough, we were already on this time.  Arizona does not change their clocks for daylight savings time, though they are in the mountain time zone)

The town of Twentynine Palms, California

And so, ends our cross country trip.  It really is a trip that I suggest anyone to take.  I learned a lot about our country.  I saw things that I had never seen before.  I got out of my east coast comfort zone.  I saw states that I hated. (Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois)  I saw states that I fell in love with. (Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Arizona)  This even changed my outlook on where we may debate on settling after the Marine Corps.  I absolutely loved Arizona.  I am now determined to see some more of the western states.  

One of the best things about Twentynine Palms, is that there is a ton to see if you are willing to drive a bit.  We have begun a bucket list of places we would like to visit while out here.  I will post that later.  

This place is a bit dreary, and boring, but we are excited for this new chapter in our family's book.  Now we must wait for a house!  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment