Friday, December 16, 2011

paleo baby friendly "cornbread" muffins

As many of you know, I seriously watch my wheat intake.  I wouldn't go as far as to say that I'm Paleo, but I do eat similar to our primal ancestors.  Many of my recipes come from Paleo friendly websites.  When I was in the States, I stocked up on coconut flour, since they didn't sell it here.  When I returned... they started carrying it here! 
When Zach started eating solid foods, I told myself that I would limit his wheat intake too.  I've read too many articles about wheat being associated with a number of different childhood disorders.  I won't pinpoint wheat here, as I do eat it on occasion, and see no harm in doing so.  I just think that the amount of wheat type products Americans consume today is far more then our bodies need.  I simply limit both Zach and my intake of wheat.
When I stumbled upon a Paleo recipe for "cornbread" muffins, I knew I had to try them.  I of course had to alter the recipe a bit.  It originally called for 8 eggs, but since babies can't have egg whites, I substituted with flaxseed.  

Here's my Baby friendly recipe:

"Cornbread" muffins


8 Tablespoons flax seed
1 1/2 cup water
2/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup butter (or mix coconut butter and EVOO) (Next time, I will try this with Coconut oil)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix flax seed and water and allow to sit for 2 minutes.  Meanwhile, whisk together coconut flour, salt, and baking powder.  Whisk flax/water mixture with butter.  Add coconut flour mixture to the mixture and stir to combine.  I used a kitchen Aid to blend quickly until it formed a dough mixture.  Divide the batter among greased muffin tins.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden browned.  Take out of the oven and let cool.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment