Thursday, August 1, 2013

Step into fitness after a long few months

I have been seriously slacking in posting on my fitness journey lately.  Things have finally begun to feel a bit more settled around here, and I've finally fallen into a great fitness schedule.  
As you may remember, at the beginning of the year, I laid out my top goals for 2013.  You can read all of them here.  Looking them all over again, I am beginning to think many of them will not be accomplished this year thanks to the burden moving and then moving again in 9 months will bring us.  :(  I knew moving would be stressful, but it ended up being much more difficult then I imagined.  The thought of doing it again soon is definitely going to hinder my plans.  Gotta love the military life.  
One of my goals this year was to run a half marathon, 13.1 miles.  The beginning of the year brought on a bit of a hurdle though, a knee injury.  I was no longer able to run a mile without pain.  After awhile, I realized it was due to my nursing E Step.  My ligaments just hadn't gone back to normal yet.  I took some time off running and focused more on strength training.  I fell in love.  I had always done some strength training in my fitness journey, but this was the first time I focused solely on the weights and learned a lot in the process.  I learned to lift- HEAVY.  No wimpy 5 pound dumbbells are going to cut it.  In order to see real results, you must lift so heavy that you cannot possibly do one more rep at that weight.  I was at a point where I was using weights almost as heavy as me!  
Eventually we learned we were moving to Virginia and had 8 weeks to prepare.  I kept working out hard for awhile, but my workouts became less and less motivated as moving day arrived.  We arrived to our new home, and had nothing in our large new home.  We spent the next month or two running errands all over the place and having visitor after visitor come to see us.  Most of the family had never met E Step!  I tried to squeeze in errands when possible, but things were proving difficult.  Our weights hadn't arrived yet, and we didn't have much to work with.  Finally, we joined the local gym with childcare.  I spent the first few weeks in and out trying to get back into the groove.  The boys were having an adjustment to my leaving them.  
I began attempting to run again, and guess what?  My injury felt so much better!  I was able to run 3-4 miles pain free again.  The break from running proved to be just what I needed.  So I began half marathon training again.  It's going great.  I'm up to 7 mile runs again without breaks.  But don't think I've forgotten about my love of the weights.  I have incorporated weight training into my weekly running training.  I have not followed any kind of exact routine, as I find myself more motivated to just mix it up a bit.  I have created a lot of workouts on my own, and have even attended some classes (body pump is awesome!) to keep my strength training.  I've even incorporated my weekly runs with some circuit training at the park with the kids!  
Unfortunately, I've been looking into registering for a half marathon with little luck.  They are either sold out or they happen to be the weekend of our color run.  It is all in the works, but I WILL run it.  I may even have to register in 2013 but actually run it at the beginning of 2014.  Does that count?  I hope so.  
Anyway, thanks for listening to my rambling.  Just for listening, I'm sharing one of my custom made workouts.  Enjoy!

Start this workout with a 10 minute warmup of your choice.  End it with a 10 minute cooldown of your choice!  

No comments:

Post a Comment