Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunflower festival


I have always loved sunflowers.  I remember as a kid, we had a bunch that would sprout in the late summers that my mom had planted.  They were so big and beautiful.  Here in Okinawa, we instead get sunflowers in February, thanks to the climate change.  And just as back in Connecticut, these sunflowers are equally beautiful.
I thought that last year would be my final year at the sunflower festival.  But of course, we are still here in Okinawa.  I am thankful for this time in some aspects, and this is a great example of that. 
Our new neighbors, Sean and Whitney joined us to see the sunflowers.  Sunflowers just happened to be what they had in their wedding, so they were very excited to see them. 
As always, they looked amazing.  What really bummed me out though is that they didn't sell any sunflowers!  There were no sunflower seeds, no sunflower butter, nothing associated to the flowers.  Instead they sold cabbage, celery, and a few other veggies.  I still haven't figured this out.  But in any case, we enjoyed the day there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment