Wednesday, February 15, 2012

post 365 life and sweet sleeping boy

You may be wondering what I am going to do with myself now that project 365 is over.  Well, I may still be fighting off the morphine from the SHOCK that i've suffered from as a result of the project being over.  It's hard to imagine life post 365.  A day without taking a single photo!  I don't even know what to do with myself!  But don't you worry, I have some tricks up my sleeve.  Part of this plan includes using this blog more often to do my projects.  I'd like to have one place to put everything, and this blog seemed as good a spot as any.  So from now on, these posts may sound a bit trivial and silly, but they are just my means of posting photos and stories in a new project.  Think of it as a project 365 (with way less frequency) with more text then ever before!  New ideas are on the way!

As you know, I am extremely strict on Zach's bedtime routine.  When he was first born, I was constantly told to read the book, "Healthy sleep habits, Happy Baby."  I had seen the wonders it had worked on a neighbor's daughter, and knew this was the book I had to read!  The book discussed how early bed times are so vital to a child, and that if you put your child to bed early, they will actually sleep LATER!  It laid out how many naps a day a child should have, and even gave estimates of how long naps should be.  The book made perfect sense.  It discussed putting your child to sleep when he/she looks tired, and to not wake them until they are ready to get up.  It was truly a lifesaver of a book, and I owe all of my sleep success to it!  I now have an almost 13 month old who sleeps 13-13.5 hours at night and takes a 2-2.5 hour nap in the afternoon! I owe my sanity to this sleep schedule.  
Now that we have crossed the one year mark, we have eliminated his morning nap.  This was a pretty easy transition so far, but he did get a bit cranky for a few minutes in the AM.  Once he had something to eat, he seemed fine.  But occasionally, he will need a 15-20 minute power nap to make it to naptime.  This is totally normal during this transition.  
Today happened to be one of those days.  After a workout in the morning, we got in the car to drive home, and suddenly I realized Zach wasn't talking to himself anymore, and I didn't hear him playing with the empty water bottle I gave him (I know, he's so odd).  When I got home, I got in the back to pick him up, but he was fast asleep.  I picked him up, and he was still fast asleep.  I couldnt' believe I didn't wake him by picking him up.  I knew this nap wouldn't last long, so I didn't want to make the trip up the stairs, so I figured i'd attempt letting him sleep on the couch (this is a BIG no no in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child!  He advocates letting a child sleep in their crib from day one, which is what we had done).  I never get to watch him sleep, since he has always slept in his crib, so I knew this was a moment for a photo.  No sooner then the moment I snapped the photo did he wake up (by rolling off the couch, don't worry he was fine).  It's wonderful to watch them sleeping.  They are so sweet.  I sure do love this bald baby, as I'm sure everyone who's reading this does too!

No comments:

Post a Comment