Wednesday, January 4, 2012

cheerios muffins

Every morning I start my day sitting down for breakfast with Zach.  He always indulges in some cheerios while I have my omlette.  Often I will bake a batch of muffins as well so on occasion he will have a muffin and cheerios.  Today while browsing pinterest, I stumbled upon a recipe for cheerios muffins.  I couldn't believe what i was reading.  Cheerios AND muffins?  I think Zach would be the happiest kid in the world if i made these for him.  And so... I baked.

I found this recipe on smashed peas and carrots but had to change a few things around to make it for an 11 month old.  Her recipe would be great for big kids though!

Here's my recipe:


2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
5 cups of Cheerios
2 tablespoons flaxseed
6 tablespoons water
1 tsp vanilla
homemade buttermilk (2 tablespoons lemon juice+ breastmilk/formula to make 2 cups)

To make the buttermilk put 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a measuring cup and add milk to make 2 cups.  
Add the flax seed and water to a small bowl and let sit for a few minutes while you gather other ingredients.
In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients and set aside.  
Mix all wet ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients making sure to incorporate well.  
Cover your bowl with plastic wrap and wait about 30 minutes for the cereal to soften.  
Pour batter into a lined muffin tin and bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes.  
This recipe should make about 2 dozen muffins.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment